This micro sized step-down voltage regulator is perfect for supplying 5v power (from a higher voltage source like a 3s/4s Lipo) to your gear that needs specifically 5v range. Power 5v flight cameras, LED lights or other gear that can only run on 5v.
The compact (0.4″ × 0.5″) D24V6F5 switching step-down (or buck) voltage regulator takes an input voltage between 7 V and 42 V and efficiently reduces it to 5 V while allowing for a maximum output current of 600 mA. The pins have a 0.1″ spacing, making this board compatible with standard solderless breadboards and perfboards.
- Input voltage: [output voltage + dropout voltage] to 42 V (see below for more information on dropout voltage)
- Fixed 5V output with 4% accuracy
- Maximum output current: 300 mA or 600 mA (depending on regulator version)
- 550 kHz switching frequency
- 2 mA typical no-load quiescent current (20 μA typical quiescent current with SHDN = LOW)
- Integrated over-temperature and over-current shutoff
- Small size: 0.5″ × 0.4″ × 0.1″ (13 mm × 10 mm × 3 mm)
The buck regulator has four connections: shutdown (SHDN), input voltage (VIN), ground (GND), and output voltage (VOUT).
The SHDN pin can be driven low (under 0.3 V) to turn off the output and put the board into a low-power state that typically draws 20 μA, and it can be driven high (above 2.3 V) to enable the board. If you do not need to use the shutdown feature, the SHDN pin can be directly connected to VIN to permanently enable the board. You should not leave this pin disconnected as this can result in unpredictable behavior.
The input voltage, VIN, should exceed VOUT by at least the regulator’s dropout voltage (see below for graphs of dropout voltages as a function of the load), and you must ensure that noise on your input does not exceed the 42 V maximum.
Typical Efficiency and Output Current
The efficiency of a voltage regulator, defined as (Power out)/(Power in), is an important measure of its performance, especially when battery life or heat are concerns. As shown in the graphs below, this switching regulator typically has an efficiency of 80% to 90%.